I have a small confession to make....
Secretly I am a sucker for old-fashion English school uniforms!
I love the grey pleated dresses and the stiff designs.
There, I said it.
So when I came across this black and white (but it looks grey from a distance) wool fabric in my closet, all things added up. Jaanu pleats + sturdy wool fabric = uniform-look. I like!
The pleats stay put very well. I didn't even sew them in place.
To finish it off, I made a fake Peter Pan collar with ricrac ribbon, and I also added ricrac
on the 6 pleats.
I have absolutely no idea where I ever got this fabric, and when.
It doesn't have a brandname on it either.
The dress is still a bit too long now (I used patternsize 4, but lengthened it to a size 6), but Lola grows faster than I can sew anyway, so it'll be too short before we know it.
I didn't make sleeves in this version, as the fabric is too stiff, and sleeves on winter dresses actually annoy me, unless they're made of cotton. Lola always wears cardigans on her dresses, so the sleeves would be too visible underneath it. And I also don't like longsleeves under a dress, so that wouldn't be an option either.
Because the fabric itches a bit, I lined the whole dress. To do that, I had to stitch the armhole halfway, make the side pleats, turn the dress inside out, and then finish the armhole. A bit more work, but it looks good on the inside now too.
So what do I particularly like about the pattern?
* First of all, the instructions are very, very clear and detailed. Even beginner seamstresses can make these dresses!
* The seam allowance is already included in the pattern. Hallelujah!
I really really (really!) like this.
* And of course the fact that you get 2 patterns for the price of 1.
* You can have your pattern printed on A0, and there's even an option to just have the needed size printed. Or only the pages that you need.
* The summary at the beginning is very thoughtful! If you make several dresses, you don't need to go through all those pages again.
* And did I mention yet that the seam allowance is included?! Love that!
Want to see more Jaanu's from other people? Check them out:
My Minnie Mie | Katrientje Vanalles | Mama Creatief | Een Huis in de Straat | Lokakid | PiekeWieke | Petrol & Mint | FliegFederFrei | Conversas de Hermanas | Lieveke en Zus | Mama heeft een hobby | Creative Needle and Threads | Querida | Khadetjes | Les Jardins d'Elysse | Glitter + Wit | Le Labo* d'Isa | Ettepet | Spurrewubsie | Stannel | Dieuwke & Sietse
Want to see more of my Jaanu's?
Want to make your own Jaanu?? You can now purchase the pattern at the Straight Grain shop, and receive a 25% discount with code BLOGTOUR25.